This post was sponsored by Better Than Bouillon as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own. Meatballs and Gravy over Rice – An Easy Recipe the Whole Family will LOVE
If I can be 100% honest with you guys right now, family mealtime is ROUGH lately. My kids eat a wide variety of things, and for that I am proud, but the chances that everyone is hungry at the same time and then feeling like eating what I serve is pretty rare. There is at least one child every night that picks at his dinner and then is hungry a few hours later. It happens. I cook, we eat, and I move on, but I do try to incorporate meals that I know my kids will love. I always try to serve meat, some sort of carbohydrate, and fruits and/or veggies. Meatballs are always a hit with kids, for some reason. That’s why this recipe for Meatballs and Gravy over Rice, made with Better Than Bouillon, is a hit with our family.
This recipe is simple and ready in about 30 minutes. Cook your rice, roll out your meatballs and cook them, and make a delicious cream gravy that is fail-proof and delicious with Better Than Bouillon. This recipe could be made in five different flavors with the variety of Better Than Bouillon bases seen below. I used Roasted Beef Base, but it would be equally delicious with Roasted Garlic, Chili, or Seasoned Vegetable Base. You could also use Roasted Chicken Base, which would also work well with ground chicken or turkey meatballs.
Better Than Bouillon offers four categories: Premium (Chicken, Beef, Vegetable, Roasted Garlic, Chili, Clam, Fish, Ham, Lobster, Mushroom and Turkey,) Organic (Roasted Chicken, Mushroom, Turkey, Beef, and Vegetable,) Vegetarian (Vegetable, Roasted Garlic, Organic Vegetable, Vegetarian No Beef Base, Vegetarian No Chicken Base,) and Reduced Sodium (Reduced Sodium Beef, Reduced Sodium Chicken, Reduced Sodium Vegetable.)
Better Than Bouillon is my secret weapon to making dishes taste flavorful and delicious without the extra effort. It’s a little shortcut that makes everything taste like they were made completely from scratch.
All you need is about a teaspoon of Better Than Bouillon base and 8 oz of water to make your food taste incredible. A little goes a long way and these little jars will last a long time! Better Than Bouillon is a paste concentrate that is equivalent to a bouillon cube or broth. It can be used to make a basic stock, broth or as a marinade to add flavor to recipe. I prefer the base to cubes or broth because the base lasts longer in the fridge than broths and they dissolve well, unlike cubes.
This gravy recipe can be used not only for this meatballs and gravy over rice recipe, but for roast beef with gravy, steak tips and gravy, and more.
The rice and meatballs with gravy cook well alongside each other and neither need a lot of effort.
I paired this meal with a bowl of fresh green grapes and it was a hit! Other side items that we have made with this meal are salad, cucumbers, pickles, toast, sugar snap peas, and more. It’s a versatile meal.
- 1 lb hamburger meat
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 TBSP flour
- 1 tsp Better Than Bouillon Roasted Beef Base
- 8 oz water
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 cups rice, cooked according to package directions
- Add salt and pepper to hamburger meat and mix well with hands.
- Roll out meatballs, each about the same size so they will cook evenly.
- Place meatballs in a skillet that has been preheated to medium-high heat.
- Cook meatballs for 5-10 minutes, making sure they aren't sticking by moving them around in the skillet, but not turning them over quite yet.
- After the bottoms are cooked, turn them all over and cook an additional 5-10 minutes.
- When most of the red is gone (cut through a meatball if you are in doubt,) remove all meatballs from the pan.
- Mix together the Better Than Bouillon base and 8 oz of water. Add the flour and BTB mix to the skillet and stir.
- When the flour has mixed in well, add in the milk and stir. Bring to a slight boil, stirring continuously.
- Add the meatballs back in and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Serve over rice and enjoy!
Latest posts by Gena (see all)
- Cashew Aoli Mason Jar Salad – Whole 30 Approved Salad in the Perfect Portions! - March 15, 2019
- BBQ Beef Sweet Potato Bites with Avocado Cilantro Cream - March 12, 2019
- Recipes for Kids – Over 95 Parent Tested Recipes That Kids Can Help Make! - March 10, 2019