When the Halloween decorations first started showing up in stores, I spotted a super cute tin jack-o-lantern pail for only 97 cents. I had the idea of planting chives in it and it being a fun gardening project that would be ready for Halloween. I used to always want a Chia Pet when I was younger, so I figured the boys would love it, too. It would also make a great Halloween gift for our neighbors or the boys' teachers!
Unfortunately, my chives seeds were too old, maybe. Something went wrong and they did not grow. So, I dumped out the pail and washed it out, and left it for another catch-all on my kitchen window ledge.
Then today the 2 year old and I were shopping and I saw lots of herbs on sale at our local H-E-B for only $1! I found a Chives plant and was so happy because I finally had hair for my hairy jack-o-lantern!! My project would not be a fail and I would not have to spend a fortune.
This Halloween gift was so, so simple to make and can be done fairly inexpensively. What a great gift for a gardener in your life!
I know what you may be thinking, though, if you are frugal and smart like my husband. "But Halloween is almost here, no one wants a Halloween decoration after Halloween is over!" Fear not, my little skeptics…there is a solution!
I turned the happy jack-o-lantern around and drew a Thanksgiving theme on the back! Easy peasy and this will keep your chives happy until you need to use them in your Thanksgiving stuffing recipe!
- jack-o-lantern pail (I found mine at Walmart, but here's a similar one)
- potting soil
- a few pebbles for drainage
- chives seeds OR a chives plant
- permanent marker or craft paint
- Remove labels from jack-o-lantern pail and rinse the inside out.
- Place a few pebbles or little rocks in the bottom of the pail, covering just the bottom layer, for proper drainage.
- If bottom of pail is not sealed, you should seal it with glue, hot glue, or another type of sealant.
- Fill your pail with potting soil and plant the seeds OR place the chives plant in the pail and fill in extra space with potting soil.
Here are some more fun Halloween ideas!
Latest posts by Gena (see all)
- “Minnie’s Happy Helpers” Activity Pages + DVD Giveaway - July 22, 2017
- Easy, Fresh Mozzarella Mini Pizzas – Perfect For School Lunchboxes! - July 20, 2017
- The Best Portable Snacks For A Trip To The Zoo Or Water Park - July 19, 2017