During my childhood, we made so many ornaments, both at home and at school. Salt dough ornaments, popsicle stick reindeer, picture ornaments, and other fun creations were all so fun to make! My mom held on to our ornaments through the years and my kids really love looking through them each year.
This DIY Fabric Christmas Ornament is a great way to start a tradition with your kids. Take them shopping with you and let them pick out the styrofoam balls and fabric, and it will make it extra special! They make great teacher gifts, too! If you are a room parent in charge of the Christmas party activity, this would be simple to do as a class.
Kids can cut the fabric and combine different fabric choices, if desired. Let their imaginations run wild and show their favorites. My son would probably pick his favorite football team’s colors…and that’s ok! That would make a great gift for Grandma in that case, or a cherished ornament year after year.
- Styrofoam Ball (size of your choice)
- 20-30 Square fabric scraps (amount will depend on size of styrofoam ball and how close you put them)
- Ribbon for hanging
- Wooden skewer (or something similar to push fabric into ball)
- Craft glue or hot glue gun (to attach ribbon)
- Using a skewer, push into the center of the fabric square into the ball about half way.
- Repeat, until the ball is covered.
- Glue a ribbon to the top. Let dry.
- Hang and enjoy!
The squares don’t have to be perfect. Approximately 1-2 inch squares work well.
Fabric should stay in nicely, as long as the ornament is handled gently.
Don’t miss these fun Christmas things to make:
Latest posts by Gena (see all)
- Give an Oil Change Gift Basket and Bless Someone with a Year of Protection for Their Car! - December 7, 2017
- Hot Gifts For Kids – Holiday Inspiration For Parents! - December 6, 2017
- Find THE Perfect Stocking Stuffer For Kids (That Will Benefit Parents, Too!) - December 4, 2017