contains affiliate links
My boys love soda, it’s true. They are allowed soda on special occasions and are big water drinkers, so I’m okay with it. There is a restaurant that we go to sometimes that offers a homemade blackberry cream soda, and they order it every time. That inspired me to start creating my own homemade sodas. And, it being the holiday season, I used MY personal favorite – cranberries – to create this delicious and easy homemade cranberry soda. All you need is four ingredients and a very little amount of time!
Some people hear the word “soda” and immediately freak out. Then they proceed to hand their kid a huge cupcake and a big glass of juice. Popular sodas do contain high fructose corn syrup, so if you are avoiding that, then I totally understand. But, lots of juices, sports drinks, and popular kids’ drinks also contain HFCS. And cupcakes, well, they’re delicious, but you know what’s in those things! All in moderation, my friends.
This Cranberry Soda is made with water, cranberry juice, sparkling water, and sugar. You really can’t find a better soda than a homemade soda!
Homemade Cranberry Soda
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 cups washed cranberries
- 1 cup whole sugar
- sparkling water or club soda
- Mix water, cranberries, and sugar in a small pot.
- Cook for about 6 minutes on medium-high heat, until berries pop.
- Mash berries with a spoon or potato masher.
- Turn down heat to low and let simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off heat and let cool for a few minutes.
- Pour mixture through a strainer and save the cranberry pulp for homemade cranberry sauce or to use in baking recipes.
- Store cranberry syrup in a glass jar with a lid and refrigerate. Syrup keeps for a few weeks in fridge.
- To make cranberry soda, add 4 TBSP cranberry syrup to a about 6 oz of sparkling water or club soda. (more or less, depending on your preference)
- Stir and enjoy!
(pro tip: label your jar so you don’t forget what kind of syrup it contains with these chalkboard labels!)
If you’re feeling inspired, check out these recipes:
Latest posts by Gena (see all)
- BBQ Rib Potato Salad – For Family Dinners, Potlucks, or BBQs! - March 19, 2018
- How To Throw The Ultimate Basketball Party for Kids! - March 17, 2018
- Homemade Salad Dressing and Vinaigrette Recipes - March 12, 2018