15 Minute Instant Pot Mexican Rice – contains affiliate links
I feel that I jumped on the Instant Pot bandwagon a little late. I finally bought one when they were on deep discount right before Christmas. My first experience was not good. I was just so happy to be able to cook a frozen chicken breast quickly. Well…the thing they do not tell you is that the cooking time is really actually the time not counting pre-heating. It took an insane amount of time and I was pretty frustrated and put it up for awhile.
Then, I decided to try to make Mexican rice, and I am happy to say that it turned out so well, and it was only 15 minutes from start to finish. It was the fluffiest, most delicious rice that I have ever cooked and it has been the same result every single time I make this recipe.
I am the worst at being consistent with my recipes, just ask my husband. When I have fixed Mexican rice NOT in the Instant Pot, sometimes it was crunchy in the middle and sometimes it was mushy.
I will never make Mexican rice in anything but the Instant Pot, ever again. Call it Mexican Rice, call it Spanish Rice .. whatever you may call it, it needs to be a side dish to all of your Mexican food dishes!
Don’t miss these delicious recipes:
Looking for a low carb version of this recipe? Check out my Mexican Cauliflower Rice!
- 2 TBSP avocado oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- dash cayenne pepper
- Set the Instant Pot on saute and add your oil and onions. Leave the lid off and stir frequently.
- Saute the onions for about 4 minutes and then add in the rice and garlic.
- Saute the onions and rice for about 2 minutes, until they begin to turn a golden color.
- Add in the tomato sauce, chicken stock, salt, cumin, and cayenne pepper and stir. Scrape the bottom so the rice doesn’t burn.
- Close and lock the lid. Turn the Instant Pot to Manual for 8 minutes.
- When 8 minutes is up and Instant Pot beeps, open the vent and place a towel over it. Be careful, it is very hot.
- Serve with your favorite Mexican food, like my Authentic Cheese Enchiladas!
Latest posts by Gena (see all)
- Cashew Aoli Mason Jar Salad – Whole 30 Approved Salad in the Perfect Portions! - March 15, 2019
- BBQ Beef Sweet Potato Bites with Avocado Cilantro Cream - March 12, 2019
- Recipes for Kids – Over 95 Parent Tested Recipes That Kids Can Help Make! - March 10, 2019