Getting outdoors has always been not only fun for our family over the years, but with three young boys, it is a necessity! During the summer, it is hard to get motivated to get out and face the heat. The rewards of riding bicycles together as a family are worth the work it takes to get everything prepared. Some of our best times have been on a family bike ride!
There are a few things to plan for when riding bikes in the summer. Different ages means different ability levels. If you are going to be riding a far distance, you will want to plan for little legs to get tired. Our three year old loves to ride his bike with training wheels, but that just is not going to happen for a long bike ride. That is when we hook up the bike trailer to an adult bike and cart him around. The extra weight is a a great way to up the exercise factor for Mom or Dad, too!
We always ride bikes in the evenings when it is a little cooler, but if you are up for the midday heat, go for it! Just lather up the sunscreen!
Things To Pack For A Summer Family Bike Ride
I have a basket on the front of my bicycle and a book rack on the back and Hubby and I both have water bottle holders, so that makes carrying things easy. We do usually have to take a backpack for other items, though.
- Cool towels really help with the heat. Just get them wet and wear them on your neck and you will be amazed at how much cooler you will feel.
- Lots of water! You will need at least one bottle of cold water for every member of the family, per 30 minutes you will be out in the heat. More water may be necessary for wetting the cool towels or washing hands.
- Sunscreen and sunglasses
- Wear breathable clothes, helmets, and tennis shoes with socks. This is both for comfort and safety. You will see from the pictures that my kids do not always follow all of these rules, but it is the safest and best way to ride bikes in the summer.
- Snacks! You just never know when you or your kids will be hungry. For us, it always happens at random times and we have to be prepared unless we want to turn around after 10 minutes and go home.
Our kids all love chips and pretzels, and carbs are a great way to replenish the energy used on a family bike ride. Take breaks and refuel with lots of water and snacks, like Snyder’s-Lance snack packs. The kids can choose what snack they prefer. (Choices are always good for kids and parents, too!)
These variety packs are available online and in-store at major retailers. There are four different variety packs: Gluten-Free, Non-GMO, Small Batch Kettle Chip, and Premium Variety.
These snack packs are perfect on-the-go snacks for family bike rides, road trips, picnics, team sports events, outdoor concerts, hiking trips, visits to the lake or beach, or anywhere your summer takes you! The single-serve sizes are great for portion control and not having to store a big bag and having pretzels spill all over the floor of the van. (Yes, speaking from experience!)
My oldest and youngest really love the Late July® Nacho Chipotle Tortilla Chips while our middle son loves the Cape Cod® Original Potato Chips for refueling!
What are your tips for enjoying a family bike ride?
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
Latest posts by Gena (see all)
- Cashew Aoli Mason Jar Salad – Whole 30 Approved Salad in the Perfect Portions! - March 15, 2019
- BBQ Beef Sweet Potato Bites with Avocado Cilantro Cream - March 12, 2019
- Recipes for Kids – Over 95 Parent Tested Recipes That Kids Can Help Make! - March 10, 2019