I remember our first trip to Disney World in 2015, we stumbled upon a place selling churros. It was then that I realized my husband’s love of churros that began many years ago, and the boys loved them too, of course! After that, we would occasionally get churros at Costco, but it’s not exactly easy to fry up a batch of churros at home for snack time. They are definitely the occasional treat, right?
This recipe for Air Fryer Churros with Mexican Chocolate Sauce for dipping is an easy recipe, made with refrigerated crescent rolls. You can definitely use organic and even lower fat crescent rolls, depending on your preferences. Using the air fryer is the first step to making them a little healthier though, for sure!
Scroll down for the complete recipe, but it really is pretty simple. I think I will teach the boys how to make these.
You start with your crescent roll dough…
Then you sprinkle some cinnamon and sugar, press the rectangles together, and cut them into strips.
Twist, cook in the air fryer, and make your slightly spicy Mexican chocolate dipping sauce and your snack and/or dessert is DONE in no time.
- 1 8 oz can refrigerated crescent rolls
- 2 TBSP sugar
- 1 TBSP cinnamon
- 2 TBSP melted butter
Mexican Chocolate Sauce for Dipping
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, (more or less depending on preference)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
Air Fryer Churros
- Preheat the air fryer to 330 degrees.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sugar and cinnamon.
- Unroll the crescent dough in a well-floured surface and separate it into 4 rectangles, pressing perforations to seal.
- Brush each rectangle with melted butter.
- Sprinkle only 2 rectangles with about 2 teaspoon of the cinnamon-sugar.
- Top the sugar sprinkled rectangles with the other two rectangles, butter side up.
- With pizza cutter or a sharp knife, cut each rectangle stack into 4 strips.
- Twist each strip and place onto a baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining strips.
- Gently place each churro into the preheated air fryer and cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
- Brush the churros with the remaining melted butter and sprinkle the remaining cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Serve with the Mexican Chocolate Sauce (below)
Mexican Chocolate Sauce
- Toss the chocolate chips with cinnamon and cayenne pepper in a medium sized bowl.
- Cook the cream in a pan on the stove or in the microwave until it is scalding hot.
- Add the cream to the cinnamon and pepper tossed chocolate chips. Let it sit for 2 minutes.
- Whisk it well until it becomes a smooth and velvety sauce.
- Pour sauce into a serving bowl and serve with the warm churros.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.